- nounany of a class of composite plastics used to make car bodies and cases for computers and other appliances• Syn: ↑acrylonitrile-butadiene-styrene• Hypernyms: ↑plastic
* * *I. \\ˌā(ˌ)bēˈes\ noun (-es): a tough rigid plastic used especially for automobile parts and building materialsII. abbreviationantilock brake system; antilock braking system
* * */abz/, n.pl. Informal.abdominal muscles.[1980-85, Amer.; by shortening]
* * *abbrevAnti-lock braking system
* * *ABS UK [ˌeɪ biː ˈes] US [ˌeɪ bi ˈes] noun [uncountable]anti-lock braking systemThesaurus: equipment and systems in cars and other road vehicleshyponym
* * *abs-,abs.,1. absent.2. a) absolute. b) absolutely.3. abstract.ABS (no periods),1. acrylonitrile-butadiene-styrene (a heavy-duty plastic).2. alkyl benzene sulfonate (the basis of most hard detergents). The molecules of ABS cannot be broken down completely in sewage treatment systems.
* * *abbr.■ acrylonitrile-butadiene-styrene, a composite plastic used to make car bodies and cases for computers and other appliances■ anti-lock braking system (for motor vehicles)
* * *plural of ↑ab
* * *ABS [ABS] [ˌeɪ biː ˈes] [ˌeɪ biː ˈes] abbreviationanti-lock braking systemsee also ↑anti-lock
Useful english dictionary. 2012.